Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Crime Fiction Alphabet: Letter N

This week in the Crime Fiction Alphabet meme we are up to the the letter N. You can check out this meme at Kerrie's blog at Mysteries in Paradise. My entry for the letter N is.........................

Nero Wolfe

Nero Wolfe is a fictional character created in 1934 by mystery writer Rex Stout. Wolfe's confidential assistant Archie Goodwin narrates the cases and is a central character in them. Stout wrote 33 novels and 39 short stories from 1934 to 1974, with most of them set in New York City.  There were many radio, television and film adaptations made from his works. Below are his novels


1934 Fer-de-Lance
1935 The League of Frightened Men
1936 The Rubber Band
1937 The Red Box
1938 Too Many Cooks
1939 Some Buried Caesar
1940 Over My Dead Body
1940 Where There's a Will
1942 Black Orchids
1944 Not Quite Dead Enough
1946 The Silent Speaker
1947 Too Many Women
1948 And Be a Villain (British title ''More Deaths Than One'')
1949 Trouble in Triplicate
1949 The Second Confession
1950 Three Doors to Death
1950 In the Best Families (British title ''Even in the Best Families'')
1951 Curtains for Three
1951 Murder by the Book
1952 Triple Jeopardy
1952 Prisoner's Base (British title ''Out Goes She'')
1953 The Golden Spiders
1954 Three Men Out
1954 The Black Mountain
1955 Before Midnight
1956 Three Witnesses
1956 Might as Well Be Dead
1957 Three for the Chair
1957 If Death Ever Slept
1958 And Four to Go
1958 Champagne for One
1959 Plot It Yourself (British title ''Murder in Style'')
1960 Three at Wolfe's Door
1960 Too Many Clients
1961 The Final Deduction
1962 Homicide Trinity
1962 Gambit
1963 The Mother Hunt
1964 Trio for Blunt Instruments
1964 A Right to Die
1965 The Doorbell Rang
1966 Death of a Doxy
1968 The Father Hunt
1969 Death of a Dude
1973 Please Pass the Guilt
1975 A Family Affair
1985 Death Times Three (posthumous)

With the approval of the estate of Rex Stout, journalist Robert Goldsborough wrote seven Nero Wolfe mysteries, published by Bantam Books.
 
1986 Murder in E Minor
1987 Death on Deadline
1988 The Bloodied Ivy
1989: The Last Coincidence
1990: Fade to Black
1992: Silver Spire  
1994: The Missing Chapter
2012: Archie Meets Nero Wolfe

10 comments:

  1. I love Nero Wolfe (and Archie Goodwin). I have read every one of the Rex Stout novels multiple times, and I have read the Goldsborough books at least once. I think I had heard something about the new one by Goldsborough. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott - Oh, I love the Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin characters! So well-developed and WOlfe has so many delightful eccentricities. I like the mysteries themselves too. Thanks for such a pleasant reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a great series, Scott. My wife read them all, but now has them available for swap or sale (what she has left, that is). I'm surprised the Nero Wolfe stories aren't in more demand than they are. Great reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed Nero Wolfe greatly. I also read a fine biography of Rex Stout. I did not know there was a new book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola SCOTT ¿Cómo estas? Espero que bien.

    Quería contarte que en Bolsi & Pulp tenemos una encuesta de repechaje para todos los libros que no ganaron en las últimas dos encuestas. El que gané será publicado a fines de septiembre, espero que puedas votar por tu favorito.

    Acá te adjunto el link exacto:

    http://encontretuslibros.blogspot.com/2012/08/segunda-encuesta-de-repechaje.html

    También aprovecho de contarte por si no lo sabías, de que tenemos una nueva sección llamada FILMOTECA DEL TERROR, en ella se ha seleccionado una serie de films para un ciclo de películas del género que irán publicándose de manera paulatina en el blog.

    Te dejo el link y espero que te gusten algunas de las películas seleccionadas:

    http://encontretuslibros.blogspot.com/search/label/Filmoteca%20Del%20Terror

    ¡Un abrazo desde Chile!

    Atte: ODISEO… Legendario Guerrero Arcano.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A prolific writer - but I've never read any of Rex Stout's books! I'm going to a secondhand bookshop today - hope I find one or two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have never read a Nero Wolfe, well I might have when I was very young. I don't remember. The library has lots so I am going to rectify that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have never read a Nero Wolfe. My local library has some books would pick up one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was lucky to find an omnibus of three Nero Wolfe books recently, I had never read anything by Stout before but did enjoy them. Unfortunately his books are quite difficult to find in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete