Monday, August 27, 2012

Crime Fiction Alphabet: Letter O

We are rambling along in the Crime Fiction Alphabet meme, this week the Letter O is featured. Kerrie over at Mysteries in Paradise is keeping us in line.



"O" Is for Outlaw is the fifteenth novel in Sue Grafton's "Alphabet" series of mystery novels which features  Kinsey Millhone, a private eye based in Santa Teresa, California. The novel’s plot has its roots in the Vietnam War, and features information about Kinsey’s previously unnamed first husband, Mickey, and their brief marriage 14 years before, although there is no interaction between them in the present because Mickey is in a coma throughout the novel's action.


 Once Mickey Magruder was a cop with a wild streak. And Kinsey Millhone was a younger cop who adored and married him. Then Mickey was implicated in a fatal beating, and Kinsey walked out. Now, fourteen years later, she comes face-to-face with those tragic years and Mickey's harrowing downward spiral after he lost the job he loved--and the marriage he loved a little less.


 

For Mickey lies dying in an L.A. hospital. Trying to find out how Mickey got there, Kinsey uncovers evidence that he was innocent of the beating charge. But as she searches through the lives that swirled around Mickey's lives gone wrong and lives gone well, Kinsey must also search the blind spots of her own life, including one that hides a killer.

Printing History
Written by Sue Grafton

Henry Holt and Co.
1st edition (October 12, 1999)

Ballantine Books
January 2001

5 comments:

  1. I honestly haven't read a single one of Sue's books and feel bad about it. I hope to start with A is for someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read any of her books either. This sounds fascinating though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott - Oh, this is such a classic series and one that I ought to profile on my own blog. I love the different covers you've shown too. I really like the second one; hadn't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a series I read for about 5 books when the series first started. I now have an omnibus for G, H, and I to try to get back into the series. I have a long way to go to finish the series. This particular one does sound good. I love those covers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read all the books in the Alphabet Series. I like Kinsey Millhone. Looking forawrd to read W is for .. Whenever Grafton finishes writing it!

    ReplyDelete